Anyway, I find myself angry and desperate in the darkness of the night as I ramble a slew of Bible verses to the Lord in a sleepy attempt at prayer. After nearly three years of exhausting nights, I decided to take those verses and attempt to string them into a coherent plea. Please feel free to read no further as this is for my personal reference. However, should your weary heart and body need our Father today, please join me in this Mother's Prayer.
Dear Heavenly Father,
I come into your presence humbled before your throne as I seek your wisdom and strength in this ministry of motherhood. Sleeplessness and exhaustion seem to be theme in this story, and despite my present state, you are there to lift me up. You tell me to come to you when I'm weary and burdened and you will give me rest. I am claiming that today Father. I thank you that you know when I rise and when I slumber, so you must also know how desperately tired I am. Therefore, I ask you to take this weary soul and body and allow me to soar on wings like eagles.
As you renew my physical and emotional strength, I thank you that you will calm the fears raging in my heart. Please whisper "peace be still," and suppress any onset of sleep deprived depression. You have given me a strong, sound mind and I claim such rationale on this day. As I continue this prayer, please fill me the joy and peace that only you can give.
Father, an answer to these sleep woes there must be. Although, they are yours and not mine, you tell me in your word that nothing is hidden, but to be revealed. I rejoice over that truth today, and thank you that you willingly grant wisdom to those who ask for it. I'm asking for knowledge of whether or not Eli's sleep issues are caused by physical conditions, emotional dependence or behavioral problems. From that revelation, please grant me wisdom in handling this situation so that I may do what is best for our physical and spiritual health.
I'm so tempted to ask you lift this burden from me completely. However, I am trusting that although I face this trial, I will be blessed. I ask that you will use this as a tool. Please refine me, push into me a deep dependence on your strength and knowledge rather than my own, and show me that perfection only exists on the other side of eternity.
As you give me strength and wisdom, please remind me that what I do to the least of these I do unto you, therefore no night of soothing a screaming child is in vain. Please help me to mother with a cheerful spirit; without grumbling and complaining as you have so commanded. Let me extend the fruit of patience toward Eli and show him mercy in the darkest hours of the night.
And in those long hours of complete darkness, let your promise pierce my heart as you remind me that you grant rest to those you love.
1. James 4:10 - Humble yourself in the sight of the Lord and he will lift you up.
2. Matthew 11:28 - Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
3. Psalm 139:2 - You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.
4. Isaiah 40:31 - But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
5. Mark 4:39 - He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, "Quiet! Be still!" Then the wind died down and it was completely calm.
6. 2 Timothy 1:17 - For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
7. Romans 15:13 - May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
8. Luke 8:17 - For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open.
9. James 1:5 - If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.
10. James 1:2 - Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds,
11. Matthew 25:45 - "He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'
12: Philippians 2:14 - 14Do everything without complaining or arguing, 15so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe 16as you hold outc the word of life—in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing.
13: Galatians 5:22 - But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
14. Matthew 5:7 - Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
15. In vain you rise early
and stay up late,
toiling for food to eat—
for he grants sleep toa those he loves.