Skip to main content

Quarantine Week One

We are officially on week four of quarantine, so now is as good a time as any to recap the past few weeks!  This will probably not be the most entertaining post but I want to record it for my own memories.

The first week of self isolation was kinda touch and go.  It wasn't really bad, but it wasn't very easy either.  For starters, I am NOT a teacher.  Kudos, by the way, to our amazing educators!  You are incredible!!

On top of trying to figure out the whole "at home" schooling situation, everything with my job remained extremely fluid. That first week, I worked a lot of hours and to be honest, it was a wonderful reprieve from dealing with the reality of the virus. I would wake up early and work from about 6 am until 9:30 or 10:00.  Then I would homeschool the kids until lunch, take a daily conference call around 1:00 while the kids played and then finish up any chores or incomplete school work. 

At 4:00, I would listen to the Governor's daily press conference while folding laundry.  Then we would leave to meet Eric in his work parking lot where we would switch the kids and I would go into the office to finish any work that needed completed. Typically I would leave around 7:00 to head home.  During that first week, there continued to be a grocery shortage, so I would make a run on my way home if needed. 

 Of course, by the time I made it back each evening I was exhausted mentally, physically and emotionally. We implemented an 8:00 quiet time for that reason. The kids didn't have to go to bed, but they did have to go to their rooms and be quiet. Eric and I were two ships passing in the night and just need that last hour or two to unwind, talk, and relax.  Even though it was a major adjustment, it worked out really well.

The first week was extremely emotional for me personally because I had to wrestle with the fact that our plans to build a new home could be infinitely postponed.  That was hard to swallow and I'll get into it more when I write about the house, but letting go of that "dream" was difficult.  We had worked so hard and for so long only to have our plans destroyed by this. I knew we were lucky to be healthy and have jobs, but I still struggled with disappointment.  Thankfully, it was such a busy time that I didn't get to wallow in self-pitty.

The Thursday and Friday of that first week were already scheduled days out of school, so we took full advantage and relaxed.  The kids played, I worked, we celebrated our new normal!  The weather was finally warming up a bit too, so we tried to take advantage as much as possible.

We continued to adjust since.  Eric and I are working odd schedules, so we don't really have a "normal" right now.  But who does?  We are making the most if it and learning as we go.


Popular posts from this blog

A New Decade

Happy 2020, everyone!  I know I'm a month and a half behind, but ya'll, January was brutal!  Not brutal in a tragic kind of way but in a "life will wear you out" kind of way. It started off with the flu...times three!  Eric, Ellie and I had Flu B and missed the first week back to school and work.  Then Eli was diagnosed with Flu A two weeks later.  Thankfully, my in-laws stepped in to help so that we didn't have to miss any more time at work. On top of the sickness, we listed our house for sale. The work it takes getting ready for market is just crazy. But we also have people coming in and out of our home at all hours and it's just kinda overwhelming. Plus, we are finalizing everything with the builder. In full transparency, working with the builder has been the easiest part! Maybe I'll do a little update on the whole building process later this week.  Now that the dust has settled on 2020, I'm going to try my very hardest to keep this litt

Mother's Day Memories

I hope everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day.  I want to start by saying that my heart and prayers go out to the "Mommies in Waiting" and to those who are missing their Momma on this special day.  You are not forgotten. We started Mother's Day at church with our crew, and we were lucky enough to be in the nursery.  We let Eli tag along, and he helped facility "Derby Races" around the table while the kids were on riding toys.  It was a hoot!  We also made cards for the mommies. We had some leftovers at home for lunch and then I spent some time laying out while Eric worked on the pool.  It was almost 90 degrees and the perfect way to relax on my special day! Eric made me a shrimp boil for dinner, and we took a family trip to Dairy Queen.  They also have presents coming later this week for me.  Basically, they are awesome!

Hit Me With Your Best Shot

Have I ever told you that Eli loves sports?  Ha!  I look back at him with baseballs and basketballs at 18 months old ,and it blows my mind that he's still so interested.   The thing is, he doesn't discriminate.  Baseball, basketball, football, name it, we play it! Not only do we play sports all day, we also have to watch certain videos on Youtube.   We watch "Boys of Fall," while wearing a football helmet. We watch Alabama's "Cheap Seats,"  John Fogerty's"Centerfield," and Kenny Rogers,  "The Greatest" while holding a bat, carrying a ball, and wearing a batting helmet. And now, thanks to Space Jam, we have to listen to the movie sound track while shooting hoops!  That's a blast from the past! He hasn't found a song about soccer or golf...YET! And with all that playing, who has time to run inside for a potty break?  Not this boy! I never thought