Skip to main content

The One Where I Got Covid

We'll we've made it through the first full week of 2021 and it's been interesting to say the very least.  Let's review, shall we?  School is still virtual.  Politics are more heated than ever and I was diagnosed with Covid.  Yep, you read that right.  It's such a bizarre story actually.  Before I get to that part, I just want to say that I am fine.  Bored but fine. I have lost my sense of smell and taste, but that's been my only major symptom.  

The whole thing started last Tuesday when I woke up with a very mild bloody nose.  This had been happening for several days so I thought maybe I was getting a sinus infection because that's typically how they start for me.  Not wanting to get quarantined with Covid-like symptoms, I went to the doctor during my lunch break to get an antibiotic. At first they told me that it would be a Teledoc visit because I didn't have any symptoms and they were already busy with Coronavirus testing.  They would go ahead and take my vitals and then the doctor would give me a call later.

My temperature was fine, but after taking my oxygen saturation levels, they said I needed a Covid test.  I was sure it would be negative because I didn't have any symptoms.  NOPE. I tested positive.  Luckily, the kids were with Eric's parents and I hadn't been around anyone at work for a long enough period of time to make them a "close contact."  

Here's where it gets crazy. The doctor said that because I was asymptomatic, my contact tracing started the night before and would lead up to the diagnosis.  Again, this put Eric as my only contact. When I called work to tell them, they asked me to go back 48 hour from the test, which made Eli and Ellie contacts.

If I can self-isolate at home, Eric can return to work after a certain number of days (I can't remember how many) as long as he has a negative test.  The kids can return to their activities after a negative test or after 10 days.  

If I am unable to self-isolate, their quarantine would begin after I am released from the Health Department.  That would mean two weeks from January 16th, they would be free.  NO THANKS!! 

I have been self-isolating in my bedroom, knocking out work, catching up on emails, planning for Disney and watching way too much Law and Order. 

Luckily, I had just done a massive grocery haul the day prior to getting diagnosed, so we have plenty of food.  My amazing colleagues have set up a meal train for us as well, and we are beyond grateful for their generosity.

I have to brag on Eric too.  He's made sure the homework is getting completed, the dishes are washed, and that the kids have everything they need. That's on top of sleeping on the couch and bringing all of my meals to the bedroom door. 

The kids have been troopers too...other than Ellie's daily proclamation that "this is all just so hard." Bless her dramatic little heart.

As I mentioned earlier, I have lost my sense of taste and smell.  This happened the day after my diagnosis but that's been my only real symptom.  Although, for the record, I also have a sinus infection that they are treating.  I was extremely tired the first few days as well, but I think that had more to do with the incredibly high amount of screen time I've had lately. 

The most bizarre part to me is that in the two and a half weeks leading up to my diagnosis, we only spent time with four people from outside of our household, none of whom have symptoms or are positive.  We ran into some stores, ate at two restaurants, and had carryout.  All of this while wearing a mask and sanitizing our hands until they've cracked open.  We have no idea where I picked it up, but we are so grateful that it's been a mild case. 

I will be isolated to my bedroom for a few more days, so who knows...maybe I'll do a little blogging. The kids are missing the first week back to in-person classes (Hybrid Schedule) but we just feel like this is the most responsible thing to do.  Vaccines roll out tomorrow, and I am scheduled for 3:50.  Of course, I won't be able to get mine now but that's okay.  We are so, so close to knocking this out and I truly believe that good things lie ahead for 2021.

I hope your year if off to a great start and you're staying healthy!


  1. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work. Mental health services Maryland

  2. Nice to be visiting your blog again, it has been months for me. Well this article that i’ve been waited for so long. I need this article to complete my assignment in the college, and it has same topic with your article. Thanks, great share. Long Beach vascular veins center

  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

  4. Thanks for every other informative site. The place else may just I get that kind of information written in such an ideal means? I have a venture that I’m just now operating on, and I have been on the look out for such information. ub 04 form pdf fillable


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A New Decade

Happy 2020, everyone!  I know I'm a month and a half behind, but ya'll, January was brutal!  Not brutal in a tragic kind of way but in a "life will wear you out" kind of way. It started off with the flu...times three!  Eric, Ellie and I had Flu B and missed the first week back to school and work.  Then Eli was diagnosed with Flu A two weeks later.  Thankfully, my in-laws stepped in to help so that we didn't have to miss any more time at work. On top of the sickness, we listed our house for sale. The work it takes getting ready for market is just crazy. But we also have people coming in and out of our home at all hours and it's just kinda overwhelming. Plus, we are finalizing everything with the builder. In full transparency, working with the builder has been the easiest part! Maybe I'll do a little update on the whole building process later this week.  Now that the dust has settled on 2020, I'm going to try my very hardest to keep this litt

Mother's Day Memories

I hope everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day.  I want to start by saying that my heart and prayers go out to the "Mommies in Waiting" and to those who are missing their Momma on this special day.  You are not forgotten. We started Mother's Day at church with our crew, and we were lucky enough to be in the nursery.  We let Eli tag along, and he helped facility "Derby Races" around the table while the kids were on riding toys.  It was a hoot!  We also made cards for the mommies. We had some leftovers at home for lunch and then I spent some time laying out while Eric worked on the pool.  It was almost 90 degrees and the perfect way to relax on my special day! Eric made me a shrimp boil for dinner, and we took a family trip to Dairy Queen.  They also have presents coming later this week for me.  Basically, they are awesome!

Hit Me With Your Best Shot

Have I ever told you that Eli loves sports?  Ha!  I look back at him with baseballs and basketballs at 18 months old ,and it blows my mind that he's still so interested.   The thing is, he doesn't discriminate.  Baseball, basketball, football, name it, we play it! Not only do we play sports all day, we also have to watch certain videos on Youtube.   We watch "Boys of Fall," while wearing a football helmet. We watch Alabama's "Cheap Seats,"  John Fogerty's"Centerfield," and Kenny Rogers,  "The Greatest" while holding a bat, carrying a ball, and wearing a batting helmet. And now, thanks to Space Jam, we have to listen to the movie sound track while shooting hoops!  That's a blast from the past! He hasn't found a song about soccer or golf...YET! And with all that playing, who has time to run inside for a potty break?  Not this boy! I never thought