I’m back with some words of wisdom for National Son's Day. Admittedly, I have no idea what I would want to know if I were entering manhood, so I could miss the mark on this one. Nonetheless, I have a few truth nuggets that might prove to be worth sharing from mother to son.
1. 1. Life is hard. I shared this one with your sister yesterday, and I haven’t changed my mind. Probably never will. But it’s the truth. Life is hard, but it’s also wonderful and beautiful, fun and frightful. I hope you have enough hard to keep you humble, enough success to keep you inspired, and enough adventure to keep your heart alive. Most importantly, I hope you find joy in every season and in spite of every circumstance you face.
2. 2. Dream Big. You’ll hear that a lot, but I want to add something that I wish someone had told me. Dream big, but don’t be afraid to change that dream. People change and so can your dreams. This is not failure. Not at all. It means you matured. You grew. And in doing so, you found a new dream. Be brave enough to dream new dreams and humble enough to let old ones go. That’s how you become exactly who you are meant to be.
3. 3. People are stinkers. How is that for some strong verbiage? Sorry, but also not sorry. People are wonderful until they’re not. They’ll bring you the greatest joy you’ve ever known but also cause you the deepest pain you’ve ever experienced. Don’t let that jade you. Just keep loving. Keep showing up. Keep being the hands and feet of Jesus. Keep being a man of character and dignity. That’s what should define you...not what people do or say.
4. 4. It's possible to be equal parts strong and tender. My prayer is that you will be come a man of tremendous strength and courage with a backbone of steel and a tender, merciful heart. A warrior and a servant. This world will try to tell you that you must be one or the other, but that simply isn’t true. Be strong and brave but always stay gentle and kind. That’s exactly what a man should me. And when you don't know how, look to your daddy. He's the very best example of a Godly man.
5. 5. Finally, Stay Grounded. I wish you all the success your sweet, little heart could ever dream up. But more than anything, I pray that you will never forget to work hard, stay humble, and be kind. Salt and light. That’s what you should always strive to be. The salt of the of the earth and a light that shines brightly before man.
I love you, Blondie, more than you could ever possibly know. I am insanely proud of you and can’t wait to see the man you become. Happy Son’s Day!